How to stop wage garnishment | The Colpitts Law Firm
Call Us: 918-236-8385 or Toll Free: 866-647-1770
Local 918-236-8385
Toll Free: 866-647-1770
When Bad Things Happen to Good People ...

Bankruptcy May Be Your Option

How to stop wage garnishment

When you have amassed large quantities of unpaid debt, your creditor may decide to garnish your wages in order to recover some of it. This is the process by which, by court order, your employer withholds a portion of your paycheck and automatically sends it to the creditor. There are ways to stop wage garnishment in Oklahoma, but some are more complex than others.

One way in which wage garnishment can be stopped is if you are unable to maintain a basic standard of living after a portion of your paycheck is withheld. This typically pertains to the most basic necessities, like food and shelter, and not to having other creditors to pay off. In addition, if more than half of the support of a dependent, such as a child or incapacitated parent, comes from you, you may be exempt from wage garnishment.

If neither of these situations apply to you, another way to stop wage garnishment could be filing for bankruptcy. Specifically, chapter 7 bankruptcy will dismiss debts, which will in turn stop wage garnishments. However, even this route may not dismiss every debt. Certain accounts must still be paid after bankruptcy. These include any sort of child support, back taxes, court fees, student loans and the like. Still, by going through bankruptcy, you could have more funds available to pay off your non-dismissed debts.

Wage garnishments can be a terrifying experience, and there are specific laws and regulations that creditors must follow during the process. As such, it may be beneficial to speak with a bankruptcy law attorney about your legal options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Initial Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy